The Paths to Recovery – Treatment Defined, Part 1
Understanding your options for regaining your health and sobriety and be very stressful. It is hard to digest the vast amounts of information available to you.
Descriptions of treatment types can be confusing. One size does not fit all and the language of recovery may not always make sense to you. In this series of posts, we will discuss each type of service you might access if you are contemplating change or at a minimum are thinking about speaking with a professional about making a change.
Today we are introducing some first steps you might take when working towards change:
- Individual Counseling: A personal meeting with a professional who will speak with you about more than your use of substances. He or she will have a conversation with you about your living situation, strong or faltering relationships with family and friends, employment, legal history and your goals.
- Pursuit of Behavior Change: There are resources in the community to take advantage of if you are interesting in examining the path the led you to this place and looking at ways to change your patterns of behavior to support your desire to be substance free. There are experienced professionals ready to help through the following organizations:
- The Center for Life Management: 10 Tsienetto Rd in Derry and 103 Stiles Rd in Salem, www.centerforlifemanagement.org/
- Between Us Associates: 151 Main St in Salem, www.betweenusassociates.com/
- Bresnahan and Ball Counseling Services: 1B Commons Drive in Londonderry, www.bresnahanandballcounselingservices.com/
- Group Counseling: Group work is a very viable option and becoming more popular and effective for some people. Some example locations are:
- Addiction Recovery Services: 23 Stiles Rd in Salem, https://arsnh.com/
- Crossroads Recovery: 155 Main St in Salem, http://crossroadsrecoverycenter.com/
- 12 Step Programs: Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous are great services and they are present in almost every town in the state. For some, peer-to-peer support is critical in recovery. Sometimes alone or in combination with individual or group counseling 12 Step Programs play a critical and readily available supportive role in recovery. Some locations are:
- The Derry Friendship Center: 6 Railroad Ave in Derry, http://www.thederryfriendshipcenter.org/
- Granite Recovery Center: 6 Manor Parkway in Salem, https://www.graniterecoverycenters.com/pritts-recovery-center/
- To search for more check out www.nhaa.net
For information on a wide range of other treatment and recovery resources in the region, please take the time to look at the South Central Public Health Network Resource Guide for more information. http://southcentralphn.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/SCPHN-Resource-Guide.pdf